Fowler, Helen (August 19, 1879-November 2, 1960)
- Existence: August 19, 1879 - November 2, 1960
Mrs. Helen K. Fowler (August 19, 1879 - November 2, 1960) and her husband, John, were widely known landscape gardeners in this Rocky Mountain region in the mid-twentieth century. They owned Shadow Valley Gardens, a large nursery in Wheat Ridge, Colorado. They were both active members of the Colorado Forestry and Horticulture Association, the precursor organization to the Denver Botanic Gardens, and devoted to the horticultural development of Colorado.
The headquarters building for CFHA was at 1355 Bannock Street in the 1940s. Mrs. Fowler was the prime mover behind a library being established there. She started the library with her own personal donation of 500 books and she untiringly solicited similar donations from others. In March of 1948, at the annual dinner of the CFHA, it was announced that the library at Horticulture House had been named The Helen Fowler Library, in honor of Helen’s efforts and generosity. Her volunteer work gained her the honorary title of Librarian.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The Helen Fowler Library Records contain materials from the history of the library at Denver Botanic Gardens.