Lawrence A. Long Papers
Scope and Contents
The Lawrence Long Collection consists of legal documents concerning the formation of DBG and papers related to the business of the board of trustees, including reports, minutes, and correspondence. There are also documents on the construction and dedication of the Conservatory.
Biographical / Historical
As president of the Botanic Gardens Foundation of Denver, founded in 1951, Denver attorney Lawrence Long was influential in working with the city to create a botanical garden, first at City Park and then at the present site of Denver Botanic Gardens on York Street. Long became the first president of the board of trustees of Denver Botanic Gardens. He resigned in 1967, according to Bernice E. Petersen’s “A Jubilee History of Denver Botanic Gardens,” a section in the book Cemetery to Conservatory, by Louisa Ward Arps.
A native of Virginia, he received his Law degree from the University of Alabama. During World War II, he served in Europe, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Army. In Denver, where he practiced law, he was a member of the Chamber of Commerce and several other organizations. His home, at 2109 E. Ninth Avenue, backs to the southwestern border of Denver Botanic Gardens.
.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Photos of Lawrence Long may be found in several folders of both the Marketing Department and the Historic DBG photo collections in the Waring Room.
Materials Specific Details
According to a note attached to the collection, Mr. Long’s papers were given to Helen Fowler Library on October 8, 1991.
- Language of description
- Script of description